The patented design of AQIX® RS-I solution acknowledges the fact that auto-regulatory mechanisms form an integral aspect of homeostasis in cell, tissue and organ systems and that there is, in addition to devising a balanced ionic milieu, a need for supplementing intermediate metabolites. The individual ingredients in AQIX® RS-I act synergistically to facilitate the regeneration of optimal functional metabolism after extended periods of hypothermic or normothermic storage.
The unique features of the formulation are summarised below and in more detail in Technical Bulletin No.1 (see 'publications'):
- Correct Sodium/Potassium balance to retain ionic milieu across the cell membrane
- Correct Calcium-ion buffering, Calcium/Magnesium and Calcium/Sodium ratios for optimal membrane/receptor functions and biochemical reaction mechanisms.
- Strong Ion Difference for AQIX® RS-I at 24.99 mEq/L, which equates closely [24.00 mEq/L] to that of human serum.
- AQIX® RS-I contains 25 mEq/L bicarbonate to avoid dilution of normal steady state plasma bicarbonate levels and utilises BES, as a pH buffer, to manage any pre-existing plasma acidosis or alkalosis during intravenous volume infusion.
- Avoids the use of inorganic phosphate ions to control pH by uniquely, mimicking the natural α-stat and pH-stat buffering mechanisms found in mammals and humans, namely, α-imidazole groups of hemoglobin and pCO2/Bicarbonate equilibria.
- Contains all of the essential and basic ingredients at optimal serum levels to maximise the viability of cellular function over time. Verified in over 4,000 scientific trials on cells, tissues and organs from a variety of mammalian species including man.
- The formulation acknowledges the role of the ionic, osmolarity, pH, specific ion conductivity and substrate demands of mammalian tissues/organs per se in recognising that chemical and biophysical analyses have shown that the serum composition in mammalian species is uniform from ‘mouse to man’.